Monday, March 1, 2010

March Resolution - Overseas Emails project

People always make New Years resolutions. I figure a New Month resolution could be an effective motivation for me?  and being the 1st March, I say 'here goes nothing'. This is the month that I'm going to finish my Overseas Emails project (it never had a name before either, but it does now).

From Oct 2001 - November 2003 I lived overseas. It was a UK working holiday, and allowed me to visit so many once-in-a-lifetime places.. Over the two years, my mum and I emailed each other. My job was to keep her and Dad up to date on where I was and what I was up to. Her job was to keep me up to date on the goings on back home. Oh, and manage my finances (transfer my money to pay off credit cards and remind me when it was time to stop moving and start working again :)). 

When I got home, I found out that Mum had printed out EVERY email sent and received over the 2 years. She thought it would be great for me to compile them and keep a record of them. I thought it sounded like a lot of hard work and the pile was astonishingly big. Overwhelmingly big.  But over the years I found time to start the project, and then months would lapse before I would pick it up again. I found the stash of emails and the notebooks recently during our renovations.

I've looked into it today, and I'm up to May 2003. So there is only 5 months to go. I think it is definitely an achievable goal that I could have this project finished by the end of this month.

And as I flicked through what I had accomplished with the notebooks so far, I have to agree with Mum. This is an awesome thing to keep.  I'm sure my daughter will want to read them one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment